Sunday, February 7, 2016

Digital Blog #B

I strongly believe school should be a place everyone enjoys. When students get older school suddenly becomes less fun. Teachers don’t try as hard to make sure you enjoy it. The first concept I wish to discuss is how student engagement in the U.S. is a very big problem. In the statistics found by the Indiana University on their HSSSE survey, two-thirds of high school students reported to feeling bored in class every day. I honestly don’t blame them. In middle school I could never imagine myself falling asleep in class. I don’t blame them; I was constantly bored in class every day in high school so I know the feeling very well. Also students drop out of classes because they lack in engagement and stimulation for the students to want to stay. I have to admit I did fall asleep once in a blue moon in my classes because of the boredom. It’s also said that the lessons that included the use of technology was satisfying for the students, and it’s true I also enjoyed using the computer or smart board in class because it got us up and doing something other than listen to the teacher lecture. I think teachers should still try hard to make their class a bit upbeat and fun for the students even if the students are not in elementary anymore. No one likes a boring class, am I right?

The second concept I will discuss is the barrier to technology which is the lack of access to it. In the textbook I read that even though schools have internet access the ratio of students to computers is 1:3 and even with that ratio schools still have less technology than what is normal. I know there are schools across the U.S. that cannot afford computers for all students but thankfully I went to schools that had enough computers around for everyone and now students are given Chromebooks that they can take home. I believe that all parents should try harder to help raise money as best as they can to help the schools around them for their own children’s education and for the education of all the other children. Children are the future, and they should all have the privilege to go to schools with technology and computers for everyone. I wonder how much it would cost for this and I wonder why the people in the government haven’t made this one of their priorities.

The third and final concepts I want to discuss are the teaching philosophies. I know that there are two different types of teaching philosophies and the one I agree most with and believe in the most is the student-centered teaching. This concept is very important for me because I wish to be a teacher and I want my classroom to be student centered because I believe a teacher should be someone who engages in conversations with the students and encourages them to learn by exploring and doing things hands-on. I think all students should have a say in how they want to learn something and that not all teachers know what is best for the learning of their students. I think teachers should get to know their students and know their interests that way the students are involved in the planning of what they are going to learn. I wonder why some people believe in strictly teacher-centered teaching. I mean, didn’t they go through a time in school when they didn’t like how something was being taught?

Make Comments https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/254c48ec-9ae1-4ab6-ade5-3cfb3063ca76

Resources:
Kahoot! | Play this quiz now! (2016, February 07). Retrieved February 12, 2016, from https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/254c48ec-9ae1-4ab6-ade5-3cfb3063ca76 Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment